XR Godalming Update 28th July
July 28, 2020
Dear Godalming Rebels,
We are now five weeks away from Rebellion, and plans and actions are coming into focus. Check out our upcoming events below, especially our special picnic event this coming Saturday (1st August, 12-4pm) where there will be a couple of Heading for Extinction talks, among other activities. Also, we have our usual meeting on Wednesday this week at 7:30pm, focusing mainly on finalising details of the event on Saturday. If you’re new to XR Godalming, please do drop in at 7:15, when you can ask anything at all about Extinction Rebellion and what we’re doing.
- Upcoming events
- Gathers in Godalming
- Help wanted
- Action Ideas
- Alton Climate Network fundraising event
1. Upcoming events
28th July – Know Your Rights Training (register here)
29th July – XR Godalming Meeting 7:30pm
1st August – XR Godalming GATHERS IN GODALMING (Facebook event)
4th August – Know Your Rights Training (register here)
5th August – XR Godalming Meeting 7:30pm
22nd August – Critical Mass bike ride in Godalming
28th-31st August – Countdown to Rebellion
1st September – start of UK Rebellion: WE WANT TO LIVE!
See our most up-to-date calendar here.
2. Gathers in Godalming
1st August – 12 – 4
Join us at The Bandstand in Memorial Park for a socially distanced picnic and outreach event. Bring flags, banners, bikes and your own bits to eat and drink. Also, please bring other memorabilia if you’d like to engage the public!
We will be getting our message across in a socially distanced way: there will be two mini Heading for Extinction talks through the afternoon, big headline placards dotted around and others being cycled through the park and possibly some T-shirt printing.
Drop in to meet old friends or make new ones: we will be holding a meeting at 1:30pm so people can see our group deliberation methods in action.
If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting to contribute your ideas and efforts, join us this Wednesday at 7:30pm.
We now have an Outreach working group, coordinating the various Outreach and Mobilising tools. Have a look at the list below and see which one you could help us with!
- Rebel Ringing – calling other Rebels to see if they can attend events or actions. Very flexible activity, and great fun!
- House Meetings – talking to your friends/colleagues about the Climate Emergency. Taking place over Zoom, you talk (or show a video) for 15 minutes, then have a discussion for 45 minutes with some gentle sign-posting. A fantastic way to reach people who aren’t in XR.
- Social Media Outreach – contact Matt if you can help with this.
- Press Releases – we’d love some help writing these, so get in touch if you’re an ace writer!
4. Help wanted
There are small groups working on various things and they would all welcome more helpers:
- Organising the PICNIC / OUTREACH GATHERING ON 1ST AUGUST in the park in Godalming. Contact Louisa or email email@example.com to join the telegram group.
- Planning the CRITICAL MASS RIDE / BIKE SWARM on Godalming on AUGUST 22ND. Contact Ben or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Helping ARRESTEE SUPPORT for Godalming arrestees (this includes support for a number of our rebels who have court appearances due for October arrests in the next month or so). Contact Sue or email@example.com.
- Thinking about how we ensure ACTION WELLBEING during the rebellion. If you could coordinate this, we’d love to hear from you!
5. Action ideas
As action ideas are generated and developed and shared into the regional actions circle and out of it there are loads of opportunities to get involved in the planning or simply to imagine creative or unusual actions and see if others can help to develop them, Currently the following things are being thought about and people from the Godalming group are needed to act as links or ‘point’ people for our group. These projects include but are not limited to:
- BANNER DROPS
- AIRPORT ACTION (Contact Sean if interested)
- DISCOBEDIENCE DANCING
- BANK/FINANCE ACTIONS
- GIANT PUPPET ACTION
- RED REBELS
- HANDMAIDS (A video recruitment action)
- SEA LEVELS RISING (and so are we)
- HULA HOOPERS (Yes, hula hoopers)
- H4E POP-UP TALKS
If you are interested in any of these, please contact Carol or firstname.lastname@example.org. Interest is welcome at all levels, from coordinating to expressing interest.
Can’t attend actions?
For anyone unavailable for actions but interested in some of the vital networking and lobbying work which goes on in the background, we currently have an urgent need for representation on two forums – one is in an occasional meeting with Waverley Borough Council alongside members of XR Farnham and the other is at the Godalming Climate Forum which is a group of local campaigning and environment groups linked to the town council. Anyone who could cover either or both of these roles please contact Joyce who has been holding these roles but needs to step down for now.
6. Alton Climate Network talk and fundraiser
On the 7th of August, the Alton Climate Network will host an event on how permaculture techniques can restore land ravaged by climate change to resilient productivity.
Luwayo Biswick from the Permaculture Paradise Institute will talk from Malawi about how permaculture can provide for all we need by using our resources wisely.
John Vidal will introduce the Gumbi Education Fund in Malawi. The event is also a fundraiser for the Gumbi Education Fund, a charity supporting the training of young people from the Gumbi villages in permaculture to counter the menace of climate change.
Entry is free, and hopefully you’ll consider donating to this wonderful cause.
For more information on the event, please click here.
For a Zoom invitation, please email email@example.com.
We hope to see you at our picnic on Saturday – bring a friend along to Memorial Park!
With hope and determination,