Switch on to the Climate Emergency
In 1881, Godalming became the first town in the world to install public electricity and it was renewable, powered by the water wheels at Westbrook Mills. Help our town to lead the sustainable energy revolution once again.
Why not pledge to make The Big Switch!
It’s easier than you may think…
SWITCH TO A RENEWABLE ENERGY PROVIDER
There are many “green” providers out there: while some are 100% renewable, others offset their emissions (which is of doubtful value).
Learn more: Best Green Energy Suppliers
Compare tariffs: Big Clean Switch
USE ENERGY EFFICIENT LIGHTING IN YOUR HOME
LED bulbs pay for themselves in the first year and should last for 25!
Find out more: How to Choose the Best Eco-Friendly Light Bulbs
CONSIDER WHAT YOU EAT
A more local, seasonal, plant-based diet helps reduce your carbon footprint.
Learn more: BBC: What’s your diet’s carbon footprint?
Find organic food: Soil Association Buy Organic
Support local growers: Community Supported Agriculture and
Land Workers Alliance
WHEN YOU CAN, USE PUBLIC TRANSPORT, CYCLE, WALK OR CAR SHARE
THINKING OF CHANGING YOUR CAR? GO ELECTRIC!
SWITCH TO AN ETHICAL BANK AND INSURER
Triodos Bank: No fossil fuel investments. Only finances companies that focus on people and the environment. Easy-to-use current and savings accounts.
Is your money funding fossil fuel industries?: Earth Day Switch
Compare other banks: Ethical Consumer
Compare ethical insurers: Ethical Shopping Guide
SWITCH TO A GREEN SEARCH ENGINE
Ecosia.org use their profits to plant trees and combat deforestation around the world.
- Your vehicle when you’re not moving.
- Your heating when you’re not at home.
- Heating in rooms that are not in use. Also try turning your heating down by a few degrees.
- Lights when you leave the room and outdoor lights when you’re not outdoors.
- Appliances that are on standby (switch off at the socket) – especially TV’s and computers.
- Chargers that aren’t charging.
- Running hot water when washing up (use a bowl).
- The tap when you’re brushing your teeth.
- The air conditioner in your car when it’s not really hot.
- Patio heaters – they burn a lot of gas.
- Leaf blowers – they are tough on our insects.
- If you’re planning to fly somewhere, first consider the environmental impact it will have.